Tuesday, March 6, 2012

“What is your experience with God?”


Dr. Frederick William Schmidt, a professor at Southern Methodist University, writes a weekly article for Patheos. Father Schmidt, an Episcopal Priest and Theologian, has a fan in me. I am his fan not because I have read and agree with all his theological discernment. I have become a fan because of his ability to generate genuine thought (theology) through his articles.

Since I too have a doctorate in theology and associate with a number of other ‘theologians’ I can relate to most of the articles Dr. Schmidt has penned. I want to make it perfectly clear that although I have a PhD in Pastoral Theology; that doesn’t mean that I can effectively or effectually hold my own within all other theological specializations. My specialization has been focused very narrowly in pastoral care, and even more specifically in work as a professional clinical chaplain and pastoral counselor in a medical venue. While I have adventured out into teaching, medical ethics, critical incident stress management, PTSD, chaplaincy geared to police, fire, and ems, and taking an active role at my home church I have stayed essentially in patient and care giver context dealing with their spiritual, religious, and personal needs.

Further explanation may be necessary to put what I am trying to say into the appropriate context. I come from Oklahoma, born on a reservation, brought up in and around the Native American tradition. A huge part of that lifestyle is the involvement of Creator in ones everyday life; living in and with God. That develops a naivety to and a dulled ability to recognize that in the real world not everyone places God as a key and guiding factor in their day to day living. Thus the necessity to ask the question: “What is your experience with God?” If you were to ask me that question you should be ready for a very long discussion. I see God every place. I see God working in people's lives every day and in a myriad of ways. I feel God guiding me to be in the right place at the right time to make the right encounter constantly. I find my self reaching into His Word to find relevance and make sense out of the many circumstances that I encounter daily. I then can truly act as a hollow bone following His lead and stepping out of His way so that He can do the work only He can do.

That leads me back to the original discussion. I totally agree with Dr. Schmidt in his observations about reading theology over doing theology. He says it far better than I do, so I will give you the link:


I would like to hear from any of you who would like join in a discussion about or comment on this topic.  Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment