Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Even the Squirrels bring the Gospel to Us


Monthly I receive a copy of the ‘New Hope Parish News & Notes' from a friend in McNabb, IL. It is always interesting and informative, giving insight into an active and God loving congregation. July’s letter from Pastor Carol struck me as both unique and timely in the presentation of a truly important message. I urge everyone who reads this letter to take to heart that you are the hands and feet of Jesus. While money can be very helpful, those in need deserve more… the warm loving presence and touch of our Lord, something that can happen only in person. I ask you to give what you can, pray, reach out with your love, support, presence, concern, compassion and be Jesus to those in need.




June 30, 2012
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

            Last year the walnut trees in this area produced an abundance of walnuts.  There were so many it was difficult to walk in my back yard.  The squirrels were well fed over the course of the winter and spring.  This year the trees in my yard have very few walnuts.  I recognize that the squirrels will not have an abundant supply of food this winter unless the have a supply saved from last year.
            As I reflect upon their plight I am reminded that there are many who are struggling in so many ways around us. God calls each of us to respond to the needs of individuals. Out of the abundance God has entrusted to our care we are to share with those who are going through a difficult season.  The invitation is to do more than write a check, God calls us out of our comfort zones to be the hands and feet of Jesus.  I invite you to pray about what you might do to make a difference in this world. Truly you will blessed as you serve Almighty god
Blessings,
Pastor Carol

Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." Genesis 1:26

"Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,  I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'  Matthew 25:35-36

He said to him, “’You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment.  And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."  Matthew 22:38-40

I.N.J

No comments:

Post a Comment