Friday, January 27, 2012

Laughter

“I've always thought that a big laugh is a really loud noise from the soul saying, 'Ain't that the truth.'” ~Quincy Jones

“If you laugh - you change; and when you change - the world changes.” ~Shilpa Shah

“I have seen what a laugh can do. It can transform almost unbearable tears into something bearable, even hopeful.” ~Bob Hope

“Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” ~Victor Borge

Laughter is a noise from the soul, the mechanism of change, the power to transform, and the shortest distance between two people. Laughter is brought by God, fills the mouth and lips with shouts of joy, and a sign that God has done something great. A baby laughs over 400 times a day and the average adult less than 15 times a day. Maybe children know something that adults don’t or adults have forgotten something they knew when they were young. Laughter facilitates healing of the physically sick and heals the soul. It’s hard to laugh and be angry, like it is hard to be mad at someone you are praying for. Have you ever made a funny face at a crying child and suddenly they begin to laugh, forgetting why they were mad in the first place? I make it a habit, when I’m in the store and see someone who looks like they have just been baptized in lemon juice approaching me, to make eye contact and smile. It is an instant cure 99% of the time. And of course when someone asks me how I am, my response is ‘Peachy.’ Even the ones who have heard it a hundred times get a smile or give me a chuckle. So, think about it. You hold in yourself one of the most powerful curatives, countenance changers, God given gifts in the world. Now, don’t you think you should go out and give it a try?  ~Chaplain Fred

My Daughter and I -- from the website www.LaughterHeals.org
I wanted to thank Craig again for bringing laughter to my daughter’s hospital room 2 years ago. Three days before her 16th birthday my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia and hospitalized for 4-1/2 months in ICU at CHOC.
About one month into her treatment my brother and two girl friends showed up for any evening visit. My brother brought with him a very funny CD which we all listened to for the duration of our visit. I can't explain the joy it gave me to see my daughter laughing all evening. It was great therapy for all of us. 
It is now 2 years later (full remission) and for my birthday she bought tickets for me, my two girlfriends and herself to come see you at the Improv. We all laughed so much it hurt. Thank you again for your incredible talent and generous willingness to make people laugh, for 90 whole minutes. ~ Cindy Adams, California

Now Sarah said, "God has brought laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me."
Genesis 21:6 NRSV

He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouts of joy. Job 8:21 NRSV

Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then it was said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them." Psalm 126:2 NRSV

No comments:

Post a Comment